Friday, May 20, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 4: Back To School.

First, a disclaimer: take any and all acting advice from me with a grain of salt. I’m no Paul Giamatti. I’m no Pauly Shore, for that matter, either.

But I’m often asked by aspiring actors what to expect if they move LA, and I think I can at least help you get settled in here. That much I know.

Here’s what I’ve covered so far: 1) Get yourself an apartment. 2) Get yourself a job. 3) Get yourself a pair.

And here’s 4: take classes. Lots of them. Don’t be stubborn about this. Even if you went to Juliard, you’ll find that acting in Los Angeles, a TV and movie town, presents a whole new ballgame. Even Denzel still works with a coach.

The tricky part is that there are all kinds of methods and hundreds of teachers. So expect a trial period. You’ll find the one that works for you. Make that two. Or three. Learn how to audition, break down scenes, improv. Take several at a time. And make one of your teachers my friend Jim Gleason. He’ll change your life.

So there you go. The biggest thing I can recommend about acting is that you never stop learning. Oh, and I can recommend something about life in general: get sleeve tattoos. No one has those.