Well, it’s not actually soap yet, and I may lose my tongue sampling it. You see, I finally had time for the next step in my new challenge: making soap. (Last year I taught myself to cook and paint.) You might recall I decided to try making bars of soap with a 3D image of Ricky before the holidays. I was progressing well – I carved his image from clay, and made a silicone mold inside a wooden box for stability.
Then I got sidetracked. But yesterday, I finally had time to put soap ingredients together. I was super careful because I’ve never worked with lye before. (Note: do the first step outside, because adding distilled water to lye makes it instantly heat up to a high temp, and be gentle – even the smallest drop of this mix will burn your skin.)
Now I wait. It can take several days to harden into the right consistency, but so far it does smell great. (I also used lavender essential oil.) Soon, hopefully, I will be lathering up with that little bastard’s soapy likeness.