Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 2: Cash Is King.

Back when I was struggling, every time some asshole was on TV talking about how the unemployed could get jobs but they don’t because they’re getting paid not to work, I wanted to throw something at the TV. But I couldn’t afford a new one.

Step two, after you find a place to live: get a job.

I’m often asked by the aspiring types if they’re going to need to work a day job, and the answer is yes. Acting is a great profession to pursue, but it’s also a bottomless pit of money. I touched on this a few years ago, and it remains as true as ever.

But what kind of job do you get? Well, something without a lot of heavy lifting. Something that allows you to go to auditions. Something that doesn’t break your spirit, but will annoy you just enough that you don’t get complacent. It doesn’t have to make you rich, but it has to keep you out of debt. Don’t be Poor Actor – nobody likes Poor Actor.

And if waiting tables seems cliché, who gives a shit? It’s a great way to fund a career. I always overtip waiters, because those extra bucks will mean more to them than they will to me.

That’s it for today. Go get a damn job.