Friday, March 21, 2008

Put 'Em On Layaway.

While most of my friends understand my bank account is a mere three figures, some of them still look at me cockeyed whenever I cut a corner. In my defense, here's an inkling why:
  • Acting classes, which can cost up to $400 a month. Take two or three at once, and you're appproaching M.C. Hammer poor
  • Headshots– at least a grand to shoot and print, plus business cards and post cards. Only to repeat the whole shebang next year if I happen to shave, age or decide to feather my hair
  • Casting workshops– 35 bucks each, four times a week. A crack addiction is more financially sound
  • Driving to auditions, which some days entail a morning in Orange County, a mid-day in Hollywood and an afternoon in Santa Monica– a good 200 miles or so, with gas prices in L.A. approaching 4 bucks a gallon. Do I live in my car? I will, for real, soon
The grand total: upwards of $20,000 a year.

So the next time you see me separating two-ply toilet paper and using it twice, don't diss.