Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Instant Classic.

My friend Jenn’s sage advice has saved me tens of thousands in therapy co-payments. The other day, she administered her wisdom once again, correcting me after I deemed The Curious Case of Benjamin Button one of the best films of the year before actually seeing it. I gushed about the trailer a few months back, but she was right.

Then last night I suddenly got to attend a special, early screening of the film at Paramount Studios.

It’s a lock to sweep the Oscars.

Director David Fincher has crafted a film that is as epic as The Shawshank Redemption. There are five acts, over 300 speaking roles and a running time of 2 hours and 44 minutes. And I wouldn’t edit one bit of it. It's beautiful.

This is a career role for Brad Pitt, who took on the unenviable task of playing a man in his eighties with the wide-eyed perspective of a little boy. The character was vulnerable and engaging. Meanwhile, Cate Blanchett was her usual perfect, and drop-dead gorgeous.

The film opens on Christmas, and though I know that day is traditionally reserved for the Jews to go catch a flick, I strongly urge the Goyim to join them. It made me want to be a better actor, and an even better person.

Feel free to leave comments here next month.