Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Homecoming Weekend Part III: There’s No Place Like College Park.

A couple of years ago, my college girlfriend texted me for the first time in a very long time. I was a million percent sure it was Adele’s fault.

I thought about my time with her and so many other amazing memories all weekend. I’d call my college years the good old days, except back then I had to buy my professors’ terrible books for 80 bucks each, and nowadays I have a Pit Bull and a career and a place by the beach. And yet, watching college football on a crisp autumn day with my fraternity brothers really felt like home.

Before the game, I got to attend the acclaimed Dr. Sobel’s Tailgate. Mark Sobel played football for Maryland before becoming a top-notch orthopedic surgeon in New Jersey. He bought a gigantic pickup truck strictly to load it up with grills and coolers and a crazy amount of food so he can haul it down to campus for his tailgates before every game. Like a doctor boss.

Post-game, we needed an excuse to top off the hot fudge sundae at Medium Rare with some pyrotechnics, so we celebrated my 12-days-until-my-half-birthday. It was my-tee fine.