Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Homecoming Weekend Part II: It’s Like Looking In A Mirror.

After several visits, I got a sneaking suspicion that my therapist wasn’t supposed to be the one crying during our sessions.

Years ago, a young Matt Shevin discussed his emotions with his therapist, and said to her: “There’s a basketball player at my school who opposing teams try to constantly rattle. They trash-talk him all game, but get frustrated because he won’t respond to any of it.” That player was Joe Smith – at the time, the best player in the country. He was drafted #1 overall, and played in the NBA for 16 years. Saturday, I related that story to Joe, pictured above, and he was very amused.

My frat brother Buzzy keeps his keys on a University of Maryland lanyard, and noticed that Joe had a Dallas Cowboys lanyard sticking out of his pocket – a big no-no in Redskins country. “Joe,” Buzzy said to him, “I would love for you to do two things for me: replace that lanyard with a Maryland one, and drop that Cowboys lanyard in the trash.” Buzzy gave Joe his UM lanyard, and Joe immediately dropped the Cowboys lanyard in the trash.

Later that day, Joe posed alongside former Maryland football player turned Under Armour founder Kevin Plank. Sticking out of Joe’s pocket: Buzzy’s lanyard.

Who knew homecoming could be so remarkable? Count me in from now on.

Addendums:

  1. There’s a notion among some that grown men shouldn’t wear sports jerseys. The jersey I’m wearing in the lede picture is game-used by a Maryland tight-end, and I think it’s the most beautiful jersey in all of sports. Because of Kevin Plank, we are the flagship campus of Under Armour, and they outdid themselves. 
  2. When I told my therapist about Joe Smith being impervious to taunting, her response was: “That’s all going to bottle up inside him until he explodes.” Not so much, even in the face of tough financial adversity. Joe made $61 million over his career, but his agents fleeced him for most of it. He’s now in debt and putting his life back together, always smiling. 

Coming tomorrow, Part III: get to know the men who hazed me.