Friday, January 25, 2013

I Vote For The SAG Awards, Part II.

Until all reality shows go away, TV is effectively a really cool pool that someone took a dump in.

So it gives me great pride to vote for and reward the casts of scripted television. The rest of my ballot:

Male Actor in a TV Drama. Yes, Jeff Daniels shined me off one week, but the next week he came thisclose to being forced to talk to me. We’ll meet again, sir. Matthew Perry once said acting on an Aaron Sorkin show was like stepping onto a moving train, and no one does it as effortlessly as Jeff Daniels. You get my vote, dude. And my forgiveness.

Female Actor in a TV Drama. The scene in “American Horror Story”  – in which Jessica Lange visits her deceased daughter in the morgue and puts makeup on her – left me so emotional I now have bangs and work at Anthropologie.

Male Actor in a TV Comedy. When Jim Parsons auditioned for the role of Sheldon, Chuck Lorre was so shocked at how much Jim inhabited the role that he thought maybe it was a fluke of some kind, and made the casting director bring Jim back to audition again. It was no fluke. He’s a comic genius. Winner.

Female Actor in a TV Comedy. I met Amy and she was super sweet to me, but that doesn’t factor one bit into how much she deserves to win. She really carries the most consistently funny show on TV, and I was happy my tuition for improv training at Upright Citizens Brigade went partially to her, one of UCB’s founders. She’s the best.

Outstanding Stunt Ensemble on TV. Yep, they do this nutty category for television, too. The action on “Boardwalk Empire” this season built into such a massive war between gangsters that even the shitty vaudeville comedians on the show were watching their asses. The good old days.

Outstanding Cast in a TV Drama. My favorite actor on “Boardwalk Empire” changed weekly, not just because they were all phenomenal, but because the show killed everyone off. Seriously. Actors, just leave your cars running in the studio parking lot if you book a role – you’ll be whacked and back home in your jammies by noon.

Outstanding Cast in a TV Comedy. There are other casts I wish had been nominated, including “Parks and Recreation” and “Happy Endings,” but this is a jam-packed category. (Side note: good for Bobby Cannavale for being nominated as part of both drama and comedy ensemble for “Boardwalk Empire” and “Nurse Jackie.”) I knew I was won over the second I saw the cold opening to the “Modern Family” episode “Express Christmas.” Click here to watch it, and see why I think this scene alone is the definition of a great ensemble cast.

That’s all they asked for, so that’s all I’ve got. Everyone have a kickass weekend, okay? Okay.