Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Hate Mail.

When you post over 1300 blog entries, you’re bound to offend people now and then. Sometimes so much they feel compelled to take out their frustrations with an angrily-penned note. But hey – we all have ways of coping. I use sex and awesomeness.

After I bragged about committing dietary blasphemy on a religious holiday, a reader checked in with this air-tight logic:

“I gotta be honest with you. I saw your blog post about eating a sandwich the second night of Passover and I found it extremely offensive. Im all for people having their own religious beliefs, and if they follow Judaism or not, thats their choice. But to publicly display that and say you could give two shits about your religion is an insult to all the people who have fought, struggled, and even lost their lives through persecution to keep those traditions alive. Posting a f*ck you to Passover is really not cool.” 

Ouch, babe. I’d taken a knee, but planned on rising back up until this next ray of sunshine gave me career counseling when I tore “Shrek the Musical a new one:

“If you ever want to be an actual actor, then I suspect youd want throngs of people seeing your work, people from all walks of life. If youre ever on Broadway, that means tourists. If youre ever in a movie, or on television, that would mean swaths of people from the middle of the country. If you want to limit your audience solely to the cultured intelligencia of New York and LA, then have fun living in obscurity, ya snob.” 

Zing. Meanwhile, a loyal friend of a dude I chastised for showing up to an audition in costume taught me a lesson in being polite:

“Not sure why you are so bitter Matt. From your IMDb and your demo reel it looks like youve booked some work. The acting colleague that you singled out here happens to have booked several spots last year. Ive personally met him and hes a super nice guy. Im wondering if any of these people you've singled out if you've then worked with them on set. I can only imagine that after calling someone a ‘douchebag’ it might be kind of difficult to create good repore and buddy chemistry. Here this douchebag is wearing a lab coat...its not like he's in there with a clip board, file holder, and stethoscope. It suggested the role. No biggie. Would love to see you posting more positive pics and commentary. Surely with your creativity ITASA could boom with tips and not teardowns. I believe your negativity is whats keeping you in a studio apartment rather than in a mansion.
Best, 
Lisa R.”

There you have it. I hope you enjoyed this group hug with the folks that make me want to be a better man. If not, you know how to reach me.