Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Memoriam.

It was a thrill, two years ago, when my brand new Blackberry allowed me to check email effortlessly. But time marched on, and in the last few months, the device had all the glamour of sweaty feet.

I tend to be brand loyal, and even though I’ve always had Macs, I love Verizon as well, and waited until they launched an iPhone. (Though that loyalty was tested when I took my new iPhone to a Verizon store for help, and the employees had no clue what to do. They don’t even have high-speed Internet in their stores – only dial-up. Don’t ask.)

After a week with an iPhone, I can confidently say it’s the best piece of technologically ever created. But I have good memories of the Blackberry, prompting me to write the second obituary about an inanimate object.

I think about the over 50,000 texts I sent from it. The emails notifying me about film festivals. The Blackberry® Photo Galleries. The calls I received when I booked roles. Even the time it cost me a role.

It kept me in touch, it kept me company, it was the first thing I reached for every morning. And now I power it off for the last time and put it in its rightful place: in my closet, next to the Top Gun jacket, behind the Doobie Brothers CD.