Thursday, May 13, 2010

No Soup For Them.

It ain't easy getting steady acting work. Often it's a tragic odyssey, much like Jennifer Aniston trying to find a husband.

So most actors supplement their non-incomes with day-jobs. I assumed when I moved out here that for the most part they just waited tables, but I underestimated. Check out some of the interesting positions held by by the classmates in my improv class:
  • Paparazzo for TMZ
  • Manager of a big media agency
  • Staff writer for “The Simpsons”
  • Traveling producer for Richard Branson
  • AT&T Exec
  • Rep for commercial directors
  • The world’s only Jewish Harley-Davidson mechanic
  • Graphic artist with a handshake-deal in place for a show with Cartoon Network
Nifty, huh? But in the end, we all seek to be paid to do what we love, because day-jobs are for the birds. I was walking down Madison Avenue once, complaining to a coworker about the miserable politics I faced at my first job out of school in Manhattan, when we came up behind a couple of kids in fast-food uniforms who had just gotten off work. One was complaining to the other about the politics of the deep-fryer line. It was then that I realized it's all the same shit, just different scenery.