Saturday, May 1, 2010

For The Minimum Wagers, It’s The Least I Can Do.

I clearly remember working retail summer jobs years ago, and feeling as though I'd been impaled on an elephant’s tusk six days a week.

It’s probably why I’ve kept a soft spot for all store employees ever since, and why I always level merchandise after putting something in my shopping cart. Leveling, as it was called back then in New York, involves pulling items forward on a shelf to make it appear fully stocked to customers. I still it do it, whenever I shop.

Apparently, it’s now called “re-facing,” according to the guy at Trader Joe’s yesterday, who was blown away when he realized I had done it for him.

In all the years I’ve been doing this, no employee has ever noticed, and when he did, I was thrilled. I hugged him, and I don't care who knows it. I'll never wash this unbelievably inappropriate boner again.