Friday, April 30, 2010

Like A Sharp Stick In The Eye.

There’s regular disappointment, then there’s major disappointment. Like hearing your favorite athlete’s book is the Bible.

But nothing tops the heartbreak regularly caused by the petty skunks of the advertising business. You might remember them from blog entries regarding my cable company audition. Or the hot sauce debacle.

Well, the hat trick is now complete. A couple of months ago, my friend Wade, a creative director for an ad agency back east, was in LA, casting and shooting commercials for 1-800-CONTACTS. He called me the first day he was here, and told me to rush over to the casting studio to audition for a role as a Tom Cruise Top Gun character in one of the commercials. Wade asked me to keep it on the down low – just enter the room and act as if I didn’t know him. Not a problem. I went in, did my best Maverick, took direction, did it again and left.

I didn’t get the part.

Last night, on the eve of the commercial airing, Wade called me and apologized. He said I had blown away my competition, nailing exactly what he was looking for. But because I wasn’t listed on the regular casting sheet, Wade’s partner and the pair of directors they hired wanted to know who I was. When Wade fessed up that we were buddies, they ganged up on him and I was out, just because. And a lesser actor got the job.

My immediate response was pleasant – I understand the politics and pettiness of the douchiest assholes that dominate the ad biz, and I was thrilled that I had done my job and was the best guy that came in. But then Wade pointed out that I’d lost out on a big payday, including massive residuals, and I almost lost my shit.

Just as I was about to launch into a longer, more furious diatribe on my blog about what happened, one of my heroes, Newark Mayor Cory Booker, tweeted a great quote. I ask that we all read it and go into this weekend with a happy heart:

“The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.”
–John E. Southard

Amen.