Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Not So Fast.

You want to make those Al Qaeda low-lifes talk? Make them deal with advertising people. They will sing like Pavarotti.

I showed up to the photo shoot, changed into my wardrobe (snazzy, yes?) and was then pulled aside by the folks from the ad agency and told “thanks, but no thanks.” Apparently, their client came into town, and wanted to know why, since they already had an actor portraying Texas Pete Hot Sauce, they would mess with the company’s branding by hiring another actor to play Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce. Get lost, Matt.

The good news: I still get paid for both the ad and commercial. The bad news: I really wanted to shoot them (the ad and commercial, that is. Though right now, I’d really like to shoot the advertising people in the face.)

I began writing this blog to chronicle the highs, lows and absurdities of being an actor in L.A., and nothing is more absurd than being dismissed by bungling ad people that can’t keep their client in line while you’re standing there in a unitard.

Nothing will ever make me give up this business. If I wanted safe, I’d go fold shirts at The Gap. All I can do is what I do: audition, beat out the vast competition, get a callback and beat out the best competition. Light fuse. Get away.