Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Best New Show On TV.

My hero Adam Carolla likes to say, “There’s no such thing as a cool dad.” I’m with him. You can’t throw a punch without hitting a dude who lost his mojo the second he impregnated his wife. Speaking of which, I will pop the next father who tells me Shrek is a really funny movie that’s written for adults. It’s not. Stop it.

And no one is more self-deluded than Phil Dunphy of “Modern Family,” played by Ty Burell. In the pilot episode a couple weeks back, Phil claimed, “I’m the cool dad – that’s my thang. I’m hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud. OMG: oh my God. WTF: why the face?”

“Modern Family” is shot in the semi-documentary style of “The Office,” and it’s just as funny. It’s on tonight at 9, so tune in, or TiVo it while you watch the Yanks beat the pants off the Twins.

Hey, Derek Jeter ain’t a dad. Expect big things this month.