Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Step It Up, Hollywood.

It doesn’t take much to entertain me: a Hi and Lois comic strip, guys with stupid barbed-wire tattoos, that trick where you put cigarettes out on your tongue.

But so far this year, I can’t name one movie I’d recommend. Plenty of overrated stuff, but no winners.

I realize many more films will open this summer, and the Oscar-contenders are often reserved for December, but at this rate, scrounging up a top-ten list at the end of this year will be damn near impossible

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by the last two years, which were arguably two of the top film years ever. Here are a handful of classics from ’07:

The Last King of Scotland
Zodiac
Superbad
3:10 to Yuma
Gone, Baby Gone
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
The Savages
The Hammer
The Lookout
Lars and the Real Girl
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Atonement
Eastern Promises
Juno

And from ’08:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
Milk
Tropic Thunder
The Bank Job
Iron Man
The Visitor
Bottle Shock
The Reader

Pictured above is the poster for Away We Go. It opens next Friday, and I’m hoping very much that it’s going to be this year’s Little Miss Sunshine/Juno. It has everything going for it: a great cast, led by John Krasinski from “The Office”, and director Sam Mendes, who hasn’t made a bad film yet (American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Jarhead and Revolutionary Road.)

Come through for me, Away We Go. Or I may have to become a cutter.