Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Festivus, Award Winner.

The 17th Festivus acceptance comes complete with an accolade: Jury Award for Best Short Film at the Charleston International Film Festival.

I’m not sure what materials are used to create Charleston’s film awards, but I’m hoping they’re the same stuff that make up their chews: luscious nougat covered in chocolate.

Today’s Beneficiary tidbit features prolific actor John Kapelos. If I weren’t already jealous enough of John’s resumé, he made me want to eat my liver when, as we shot at a state park north of L.A., John needed to get to an audition for “CSI: NY.” He patiently shot a scene for my film, then raced to a casting office in Hollywood and was back shooting his next scene for me within an hour. Later that day he found out he got the TV role.

John invited me to hang out with him on the set of CSI, and I had a great time. He had his own bungalow dressing room, and in between his takes – he was playing a lawyer – he taught me as much as he could about shooting TV shows.

As we make our way through this business, the majority of my actor friends and I may as well be gathering in a church basement for a support group, huddled around the cookies and the coffee urn, easing each other's frustration. Meanwhile, it’s nice to know one guy who’s a damn rock star.