Sunday, August 10, 2008

General Moron.

When Brett Favre was recently traded to my favorite team, the New York Jets, I wasn’t thrilled. Though Brett is a future hall of famer, in order to make room for him, the Jets had to release one of my heroes: Chad Pennington. I was heartbroken.

Then I watched the news conference held by Ted Thompson, general manager of Favre’s former team, the Packers. And I understood why Brett got the hell out of there.

Check out this gem from Ted Thompson:

“When the trade papers actually came and I was going to sign it, which would be my job, I almost wanted someone else to sign it, yes.”

Or this:

"This is in many ways sad that this is where it came to.”

Or my favorite:

"This is the National Football League. We understand that when we sign on. Yeah, does that put us at risk? But there's all kinds of risks in the NFL, there's all kinds of risks in life. You make the best decisions you can based on what you believe is in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers."

I admit that when it comes to a command of language, I’m no Thomas Jefferson. Heck, I’m no Weezie Jefferson. But at least I can conjugate and use proper tense.

If I apply my class gauge, in which I judge a teacher by the talent of his students, then SMU, where Thompson went to college, should have its accreditation revoked. The man is in charge of one of the most storied franchises in all of sports, and he’s a complete mushmouth.

I ask this for the second time on this blog: what ever happened to leaders who actually lead?

Welcome to the Jets, Brett.