Monday, April 7, 2008

Building Houses With The Bluths.

As a guy who came dangerously close to having to retake wood shop in summer school, I was hesitant when my friend Ann asked if I wanted to participate in her company-sponsored Habitat for Humanity event.

Then Ann, who works for Fox Studios, mentioned the cast of my favorite TV show at the time, "Arrested Development", would be participating. Three days later, I was a drywallin' fool.

It was a nice touch of irony that on "Arrested", the Bluth family business is real estate development. But unlike their lazy, self-absorbed TV counterparts, these actors really got their hands dirty. I peeked into the house attached to the one on which I was working, and saw David Cross swinging away with a hammer. Michael Cera dug trenches. Unfortunately, Annyong was nowhere to be found.

Posted outside of each future Habitat home is a biography of the family for whom the home is being built. The one on which I worked was for a saint of a single women who was adopting a brother and sister from Africa and bringing them to live here. Words can't describe what it felt like at the end of the day to have worked so hard for such an amazing cause. But I'll give it a metaphorical shot: it was like cutting a line out of a kilo of cocaine and snorting the kilo.

Guys, trust me– visit Habitat's website and volunteer. Your therapist won't know what hit you.