Monday, May 13, 2019

My First Cirque Du Soleil.

I don’t go to the circus. Not because I’m scared of clowns, but because I’m scared of people who go to the circus.

I’d never been to Cirque du Soleil for that matter, even though it doesn’t have any clowns. (Well, one clown – but he was really just some makeup-less French Canadian dude with male pattern baldness who killed time while water was mopped up on the stage.)

Saturday night, I saw the latest Cirque du Soleil show Amaluna, under a big temporary tent set up on the water by the Battleship Iowa. And I really liked it. Here’s what’s cool about Cirque: it isn’t so much acts, but dangerous stunts. Cirque pulls its talent from Olympic and NCAA gymnastic events, and these athletes risk it all every night. In one cool moment, a guy stood on another guys’s shoulders, and then another guy stood on top of him. (The guy at the bottom looked appropriately miserable.) Another set of guys tossed a woman up to attempt to become the fourth person in this stack. It kind of didn’t work the first time, and to the show’s credit, they tried it again, nailing it. The intimate crowd had bonded, encouraging the stars on and exploding when it worked.

It’s here until May 26th. Highly recommend.