Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Secret To Happiness.

Happiness is a warm puppy. The opposite of happiness is a warm public toilet seat.

Okay for real, here’s the secret: always have something to look forward to. I’d always believed it, but I especially did after my friend Ben turned me on to the movie A Family Thing. In a very poignant scene, Earl, played by Robert Duvall, talks with his nephew, whose dream of playing pro football ended when he blew out his knee. The nephew is angry and withdrawn, and has been taking his frustrations out on his family. Earl tells him there are other things in life – simple things – that can make him happy again. “Heck,” Earl says, “Being happy ain’t nothin’ more than havin’ something to look forward to.”

That’s my mantra, and it was on my mind the other day as I booked a trip for a mini reunion with my fraternity in November. It’s centered around the Michigan/Maryland football game, and it’s six months away and I can’t wait.

It doesn’t have to necessarily be a trip; simple things truly are all you need. I bet right now you can name twenty things you’re looking forward to. Dinner with friends, the new Tarantino film, a new pair of sneakers. I can go on.

Here’s homework: list the things you’re anticipating. Even list one. Always have the carrot dangling in front of you. You see, there’s no better feeling than the moment before something great happens – it’s even better than the great moment. But start even earlier. I’ll have a kick in my step about the trip to Maryland for the next six months. Plus 100 other things I’m excited about.

Alright. Go do your homework.