Wednesday, April 17, 2019

In Which Pete Rose Calls Me.


3300 blog entries in, all I can say is I’m glad this isn’t a gambling addiction.

Just ask Pete Rose. Or better yet, I will.

Cut to two weeks ago, and while I was in Mammoth, I got a call from my friend Ted. Teds a big-time banker, and one of the perks of being a multi-millionaire is that he can pay to have fancy dinner guests. He and a few coworkers pooled their money and had Pete Rose join them in New York.

Ted called me in the afternoon in Mammoth and told me to stay by my phone. I didn’t mention it to anyone with me in the condo that I was going to get a call from Pete. I just figured I’d put him on speaker phone and surprise everyone. 

It got very interesting, waiting for the call. The giant magnet kicked in (you know the one – something you casually mentioned pops up in reality soon after), and as we were watching an NBA game, my brother compared a player to of all people: Pete Rose. For real. Then Pete called, and after the crazy of the moment subsided, he was super nice and we had a great chat. Really good guy.

Thank you, Ted. It was a total thrill.