Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Yummiest New Burger In All Of Downtown.

“Today is chest and leg day!” –me, ordering at KFC.

I know my way around a menu, and last night I tried a brand-new place called Hock & Hoof. It’s actually a lot more than burgers – they make a tomahawk steak that’s 120 bucks. The burger had jalapeno aioli and a Portuguese bun. I gave it a good home.

Luckily, I also have the greatest parking luck, which was a benefit, because Hock & Hoof is located in the Hotel Alexandria (one of the scenes in Se7en was shot there), and the neighborhood hasn’t yet caught up to downtown’s revamp. I was able to keep an eye on my car while a drug dealer flashing the fattest wad of cash conducted transactions all evening. It’s the restaurant’s only blemish, but worth the risk.

Back to the good stuff. This drink is called “smoking section”. The server heats up a slab of white oak with a mini blowtorch, then captures the smoke in an upside down glass, adds an oversized ice cube (my coolest type of ice), soju (Korean vodka-like liquor – all the cocktails here have it) and sweet vermouth. Genuine smoky flavor; pretentious in the best way.

Finally, topped with horchata whipped cream, this ain’t your abuela’s tres leche cake.