Thursday, August 24, 2017

Class Act.

I received a message from Atlanta Falcons General Manager Scott Pioli recently, and was tempted to reply: “Same phone. Who dis?”

It would have been extra rude, because A) Scott was actually replying to me, and B) he is a very good man.

You see, a couple months ago, a story was posted online about Scott when he was GM of the Chiefs. One of his players, offensive tackle Ryan O’Callaghan, visited him in his office:
“He had built this up like he was coming in to tell me that maybe he had done something truly terrible,” Pioli remembered.

Pioli had known about O’Callaghan’s drug abuse, and the gravity in his player’s voice over the phone told him that something dire was on his mind. O’Callaghan trudged into Pioli’s office the next day. After a hug and some small talk, O’Callaghan turned serious. He told Pioli he had been visiting with Wilson and had gotten clean. It was good news to Pioli.

“I’ve got something else I’ve got to tell you,” O’Callaghan said. At this point he was fighting back tears. Pioli’s mind raced, wondering if his player had harmed or killed someone.

“I’m gay,” O’Callaghan said.

His private announcement was met with immediate support from the GM. Then:

“So what’s the problem you wanted to talk me about?” Pioli asked.
I thought this was so cool, I stalked Scott, sending a note to what I guessed his email would be:
Hey Scott–
Just wanted to say the way you handled Ryan O'Callaghan coming out is first class.
You are a gentleman, sir.
-Matt Shevin
Lo and behold, he replied. (With a little concern because he’s in the public eye and knows a lot of people):
Hi Matt
Thank you for the email and your kind words…
Please forgive me for not being able to place you – do we know one another (I’m worrying I’m about to be embarrassed…)
Again, thank you
Scott

No sir!
I just guessed your email. Sorry to intrude!
Just thought it was an outstanding attitude by a front-office guy. You’re all painted with a closed-minded brush.
Wish you were in charge of my Jets.
-Matt

No apology necessary – I’ve had much worse ‘intrusions’ – I’m relieved actually – lol !!
Again I appreciate your kindness. I was with the Jets from 1997-1999 for three seasons –I enjoyed being home, but it was tough on my family… I grew up in NY as a Giants fan – dad from the Bronx. We started to get the ship turned, but Belichick and I headed to New England after the ’99 season – sorry about that – nothing personal – lol
Be well and thanks again for the words.
Scott
Forgive what I’m about to say, but it’s become obligatory on my blog: Mom, I am not gay. There’d be nothing wrong with it even if I was. I just thought a nice man did a good thing, and wanted to let him know.

P.S.: Mom, forgive me for saying that on this day of all days. Happy birthday.