Thursday, April 20, 2017

He Inadvertently Gets It.

When I order food on Postmates, in the “special instructions for the driver” box, I put “Tell me I’m THE MAN”. And they do. And I am.

I wasn’t always this self-assured, but then I realized the key to happiness: always have something to look forward to. Try it – make a list of five things you have coming up that excite you. No need to thank me afterward, but you’ll want to do so anyway. Trust me.

My credo was recently enhanced by an interview with Judd Apatow in Esquire about the gym he set up in his office but never uses:
“My workout room is a land of hope because it could be used one day, so just keeping it there means anything’s possible. That’s the key to being a hoarder, like myself. In the back of your mind, you always think that at some point you’re going to read that giant stack of newspapers, but you never do. But you always have hope. All hoarding is hope because you just think, “I can’t die because I have to watch that stack of DVDs. There’s no way for me to die without re-watching every single episode of ‘Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman’.” Makes you feel immortal, having too much stuff.”
 Slight detour, but enlightening. Having something to look forward to makes you feel immortal. Again, try it. You’ll see.