Thursday, January 19, 2017

My Six Favorite Movies Of 2016.

Forget the Oscars – the Teen Choice Awards has to be the most legit award show, because teens always make the best choices.

But we’ll have to make due on Tuesday, when the Oscar nominations are announced. Up to ten films can make the cut. Here are my six favorite from last year, in order (and remember – I saw a lot of movies, but I didn’t see everything) :

Don’t Think Twice. It won’t be getting nominated because it’s a comedy, but for me it was the best film of the year. And not just because it was about an improv team, but because it was such a real portrayal of friendships and relationships and pursuing your dream and inevitable end of your favorite time in life.

Edge of Seventeen. Also a comedy, and it’s damn time all movies were considered. This is a great portrayal of teen angst, and Woody Harrelson steals every scene he’s in as the very cool, acerbic yet compassionate teacher.

La La Land. It’s my third choice, but these three movies are classics, so think of them really as 1A, 1B and 1C. La La Land is the greatest love letter to LA – a positive look at aspiring actors and musicians. I think about it every day since I saw it.

Deadpool. I saw this at the AMC Dine-In, which features the big, leather, reclinable seats. Not knowing what to expect from the movie, I figured at the very least, I could put my seat back and take a snooze. But from the moment Deadpool began, I was sucked right in. It’s hilarious and cool and doesn’t take itself seriously. It was last year’s The Kingsman.

Manchester By the Sea. I saw this with my friend John Kapelos. You might think that after appearing in over 200 films and TV shows, John’s suspension of disbelief would be on the fritz, but not with this film. It’s so incredibly tragic, it physically affected John. He cursed me for making him see it. In a good way.

Hell or High Water. This and La La Land will get real consideration, especially because the acting in this is so good. Definitely look for Jeff Bridges to be nominated for best supporting actor for playing the crotchety sheriff trying to extend his last case because he can’t bear to retire. Lot of good testosterone in this movie. I like that.