Monday, October 24, 2016

It’s Nice To Be Nice To The Nice.

So, apparently airport security doesn't like it when you call shotgun before boarding a plane.

But airline employees love it when you ask them about their day. I did it at LAX, and the sweet woman from United asked me to come around to her side of the counter and pick a better seat on my flight. I upgraded from being crammed into the back of the plane to the extra-legroom bulkhead. Normally 90 bucks more – mine for free.

I know I’ve hammered United plenty, but I also know the employees do their best. It’s the corporate idiots who set up the system that overbooks flights, causing massive delays. The people at the counter must catch shit for this all day, because they sure did respond when I simply was nice and funny. I say “they” because yesterday, before my return flight on JetBlue, I approached the counter, and thus:

Same seat, different airline. No extra fee, and I was able to board early. The lesson: people just want to feel appreciated. Try it.

P.S.: It was a super successful trip, and I’ve got several groovy pics that I’ll share tomorrow when I catch up on sleep. Until then, be nice.