Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Weekend In Kansas City, Part II: The City.

The bathrooms in the Kansas City Airport double as tornado shelters, so you can literally experience a shit-storm.

Within walking distance of our hotel was a cool part of town called Westport. Steeped in Civil War history (they call it the “Gettysberg of the West”), all of the original brick buildings have become great hangouts. Harry’s Bar and Tables, above, has a treehouse-like outdoor pub during warm-weather months. All of this was unexpected to us NY/LA guys, who presumed this town would be as boring as marriage.

Don’t get me wrong – it’s not a fully-hip city, as evidenced by the blue water in this fountain, a tribute to the Royals’ World Series championship. A trashy new-money move.

Someone asked me after my trip if I spent any time at Camarohead. Thinking it was a bar in KC, I said no. Then I looked it up, and it turns out “Camarohead” is a common nickname for Arrowhead Stadium, due to its abundance of uneducated, mullet-sporting fans. Most of these fans were harmless, but I noticed after the game that someone had spit all over the side of our SUV because we were Jets fans. Really courageous move not doing it in front of us, ace.