Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Things You Must Eat In LA. Part I.

My sister-in-law: “We brought snacks for the kids.” Me: (with a mouthful of food) “We did?!”

I like the eating. And when my friend Drew asked me for a list of must-eats for when he visits LA in September, I got down to business. Here’s part I:

French dipped sandwich at Philippe’s. (Pictured above.) One day in 1918, while making a sandwich, Philippe Mathieu inadvertently dropped a french roll into a roasting pan filled with juice still hot from the oven. His customer, a cop, said he would take the sandwich anyway, and returned the next day with some friends asking for more dipped sandwiches. 100 years later, they’re just as yummy. The cast and crew of my film The Beneficiary had them for lunch one day during filming. It was the perfect LA storm.

Triple chocolate milkshake at Milk. Don’t let the line out the door at Milk  fool you – the staff serves quickly and the turnover always results in a table opening up at just the right time to have a suck down three times chocolate.

Lobster roll at Son of a Gun. Bite size, with potato chips on top. This is my favorite item at my favorite restaurant in LA. A close second: their fried chicken sandwich, piled a mile high with coleslaw. The chef doesn't allow for changes to anything on his menu. Not that you’d want to.

Chicken and Waffles at Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles. Roscoe’s was in the news recently, with Snoop Dogg pledging to buy the place after it fell into debt. Their trouble didn’t stem from a lack of customers – a disgruntled employee sued the place and won. Either way, it’s as good as advertised, and will fill your belly for a day and a half.

Cream-cheese stuffed french toast at Martha’s. My dad used to love the scrambled white-corn omelet, but give me Martha’s signature dish, stuffed with cream cheese and the fruit filling of the day. If you go there for brunch on the weekend, get on the waiting list, and then go walk the strand in Hermosa for a couple hours. Worth the wait.