Monday, June 6, 2016

Bittersweet.

I’m glad the athlete on my favorite team said he’d just take it one game at a time. I was worried he’d try to take it three-to-four games at a time, which is bad.

My favorite athlete lately has been my nephew. I’m not just saying this because of the unbreakable bond forged by changing his poopy diapers, but he’s easily the best player on his Little League team. All he does is rip doubles. (Home runs aren’t allowed in today’s coddled world.) But Saturday was his last game of the season, and now the weekends just won’t be the same. Only one thing to do:

Drown my sorrows at LA’s favorite new ice cream place: Salt & Straw, which features the most unique concoctions, like black olive brittle and goat cheese, fish sauce caramel with palm sugar, and California avocado and cardamom with fermented carrot custard. (Try saying that five times fast.) I went with chocolate gooey brownie, which was made with chunks of brownie and Marshmallow Fluff. It’s official: I won Salt & Straw.

I’ve mythbusted before and I’ll mythbust again: here in LA we love to eat. The line for Salt & Straw stretches around the corner. They just does everything right, including using real metal spoons for taste samples. So get your fat butt in line there tonight.