Thursday, May 29, 2014

Rob Lowe With The Assist.

It’s starting to seem like the most courageous thing a TV show can do now is keep all its characters alive.

Rob Lowe wasn’t killed off of “Parks and Recreation” this year, but he was written off, and it really sucked. To wean myself off his character, I just read Rob’s autobiography, and I loved it. He wrote the book himself, and didn’t hold back about his addictions, sexual conquests and the wise/unwise career choices he’s made.

Rob’s first break came at the age of 15, when he was cast in a sitcom called “A New Kind of Family.” Pitted against “60 Minutes,” the show got its brains beat in, lasting only six episodes. But it was long enough to give Rob his first taste of fame. Teenage girls screamed in the live audience every time he entered a scene, and it really pissed off the show’s respected lead, Eileen Brennan, leading to this excerpt:

A production assistant stops by with my very first fan letter. 

“Here ya go, Rob. Got a bunch more up at the offices.” 

I don’t know what to say. It’s all new. Someone has written a fan letter to me

“Oh, and one more thing… from now on, no one under the age of eighteen will be allowed in the studio audience,” he says mildly as he heads out. 

I don’t know whether to be upset, or even who to be upset with. I do know that this new edict marks the end of my ear-splitting receptions. I turn my attention to my fan letter. I open it carefully, excited to read it. 

Dear Mr. Rob Lowe:
I enjoyed you very much on the TV show The New Kind of Family. You are a great actor. Can you please send me an autographed photo of yourself? If possible in a bathing suit or your underwear. 
Sincerely, 
Michael LeBron 
#4142214 Pelican Bay Prison