Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Rest In Peace, Sir.

Raise your hand if you were intently following the royal baby coverage yesterday. Now use that hand to punch yourself in the face.

While you involved in that British nonsense you may have missed the fact that an great American actor died. Dennis Farina was one of my favorites – and one of the actors everyone seems to love – which I blogged about a few years back. (New list coming soon.) All the more impressive is the he was a Chicago cop for 18 years who caught the acting bug late and didn’t book his first film role until he was 37.

He went on to appear in hundreds of TV shows and movies, and no matter the role, he was always riveting.

As much as I love to engage any actor I can, I encountered Dennis once but didn’t engage, because it was in the unfriendly confines of a bathroom at LAX. I can only say he was much taller than I expected.

Screw it – he was a giant. And he’ll be missed.