Friday, April 5, 2013

Thumbs Down.

My favorite part of working is the death that comes about twenty years afterwards.

Life goes fast; you’d better love what you do. Roger Ebert loved what he did, even after decades of seeing over twenty movies a week. I loved his show and his thoughtful writing style, and his death really bummed me out yesterday. Here in LA,

Roger would do the local pre-Oscars coverage on the red carpet, and actors had genuine affection for him. It helped that he had no qualms about telling them during interviews if he felt they’d been robbed of nominations. It was genuine, because if the man didn’t like a film, he would really tear it a new one. (My friend Ben and I will never tire of re-reading this classic.)

Comedian Patton Oswalt tweeted it perfectly yesterday: “By the way, death’s about to get a SUPER shitty review. RIP, @ebertchicago.”