Tuesday, March 12, 2013

In Which I Bum You Out.

I do love me some food. The other day I accidentally stopped for lunch on the way to lunch.

But I know I’m blessed to have a fridge full of food and I’ve enjoyed a string of great meals at some of the fancier places in town. And this knowledge was only reinforced at a special screening of the new documentary A Place at the Table, which focuses on hunger in America.

What I learned was the very disturbing fact that there’s not a lack of food at all in this country. Instead, 23 million Americans live in “food deserts,” in which it just doesn’t make financial sense for healthy, affordable food to be delivered to these very rural or very urban areas. The documentary focused on a few families who struggle for their next meal every day – and these are far from lazy deadbeats looking for handouts. One family lives and works its asses off on a ranch in Colorado, and their daughter is a super positive little girl despite feeling hungry so often she can’t concentrate in school.

See this doc. It ain’t uplifting, and it’s hardly a date movie (let’s be honest – there aren’t a lot of documentaries about how great everything is), but it’ll change you, I promise.