Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I’ll Miss It.

Autoerotic asphyxiation is not the most embarrassing way to die. Some people have been trampled to death at a Monsters of Rock festival.

And then there’s the graceful way to go out: by choice. Which is exactly what “30 Rock” did last week. No network cancelation; Tina Fey and her staff had done everything perfectly for seven seasons, and decided that was enough. Inevitable, I suppose.

“30 Rock” cranked out episodes so full of ridiculous, silly, surreal and razor-sharp situations I often kept my thumb on my DVR remote to backtrack and catch anything I’d missed. And the premise was terrific – life backstage at a “Saturday Night Live”-type sketch comedy show. This was postgraduate sausage-making.

Yeah, it sucks when TV becomes a little less great. But I will honor your wishes, “30 Rock,” and not resuscitate.