Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Note To A New Man.

My dad was in the habit of telling my brothers and me “you’re nothing,” which I took to mean “shoot for the stars.”

I kept in mind this sage advice as I wondered what to write in the card I gave to my friend’s son Jake on the day of his Bar Mitzvah. According to Jewish law, Jake is now accountable for his actions as a man, so I decided to let him know ten things I wish I’d been told had I had an accountable man in my life at his age. Here they are:
  1. You may not find a career you like right away, but you’ll eventually find a career you love, and there’s no age limit as to when that can happen. 
  2. Talk to girls. Every day. Develop the ability to feel at ease with them and understand what they like. Then thank me in 20 years. 
  3. You’ll make huge mistakes. Women will break your heart. Bosses will unfairly fire you. Be glad these things happen. Learn from them. They’ll make you a whole person who appreciates the good times.
  4. If a really big dude ever starts in with you, remember: crazy always wins in a fight. 
  5. There’s nothing sadder than someone who peaks in high school. 
  6. Parents can be critical, or checked out, or wrongly push you to achieve in ways they never could. Your parents are the total opposite of that. 
  7. The Target in Torrance actually has Jewish greeting cards. 
  8. No, you’ll never use geometry in the real world. It’s not about that. It’s about the discipline and intelligence required to learn it. You’ll use that every day. 
  9. The key to success: wake up early. 
  10. You’ll plant lots of seeds in whatever you pursue in life, and you won’t see the trees for a long time. But trust me – they’re coming.