Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 46: It’s All Good.

I don’t discourage easily, mainly because I don’t require a lot to make me happy. If I so much as get a tangerine peel off in one piece, I hear Snap’s “I've Got the Power” in my head.

Once, I was trying to explain to my mother that acting involves a unique type of positive persistence unlike any other profession. “Um, I’m a real estate agent,” my mom replied. The woman is faced with the daily grind of driving customers all over town who have absolutely no intention of buying homes. It’s fun for them to not even dip their toes at my mom’s expense. So forget about showbiz – real estate has this predicament by the throat.

Well, thanks to Sheila Shevin, I arrived here predisposed to extreme diligence. I hock a loogie in the face of rejection. But if you’re having trouble encountering it, here are a few random thoughts about dealing with the daily shit:

Trust that everything that happens to you, good or bad, contains the seeds for the next thing to unfold. Know that every successful actor got rejected along the way, and the best way to deal with rejection is to understand that each job you don’t get gets you even clearer on what you do want. Maybe some of the jobs you didn't get you might not have really wanted anyway?

In his book, Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life, Steve Martin said he wasn’t “naturally talented,” which made him inventive, and that “perseverance is a great substitute for talent.” I’d add to that that it’s a great temporary substitute. You will get talented because you will work on your craft.

Aspire to hard work, talent, and passion. Fame is not something to aspire to. The only way to really succeed at something is to be willing to be bad at it first. That’s how you succeed.

Don’t waste your time feeling sorry for yourself and thinking, “Why me?” Make growth your goal, and you’ll never lose.

Stop comparing your career to others’ careers. Be yourself – everyone else is taken.

Finally, keep in mind there’s not a lot of competition; there’s just a lot of people. Keep showing up.

 Okay, one more:

“Sometimes being the worst at something is the closest you’re ever going to get to being the best at anything.” - Laura Silverman (Super successful actress/Sara Silverman’s big sister.)