Friday, August 3, 2012

It’s Just His Way Of Saying “I Love You.”

Where does Matt Shevin go when he’s out on the town? To the Barnes & Noble bathroom.

But where does my friend Pat go? Out of town, actually, across the country on his Triumph. He’s on his annual summer trip from NYC to the west coast, and stopped by to have lunch and meet Ricky for the first time on Wednesday. (Luckily Pat was wearing his protective motorcycle jacket as Ricky is a pretty passionate greeter.)

Pat’s easily leading the most interesting life of anyone I know. He teaches at Frank Sinatra School of the Arts in Queens, a school founded by Tony Bennett. He’s an incredibly talented artist in his own right, and one of those teachers you only think exists in movies or TV, pushing special ed students to go far beyond their potential, so they can do so much more with their lives than they every imagined.

And he writes an amazing blog, which right now features details (and beautiful photos and stories) of nooks and crannies of America I never knew existed (including this jaw-dropping one in my own backyard.) I can’t recommend enough that you bookmark it and give it a serious gander: