Friday, August 24, 2012

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 45: Got Her Butt To LA.

Back in 2010, a young actress named Emily was living in Virginia and dealing with the all the rigamarole that comes with showbiz aspiration: lack of funds, unsupportive family, scarcity of mentors. So when she emailed me asking for guidance, I replied with what the doctor said to me after my hepatitis test: “You got it, sweetheart.”

Cut to last month. As I was signing in to the PetSmart audition, I heard a voice behind me say, “I know you.” It was Emily, now living in Hollywood and interning for the casting office. I was really glad to see her, and after I auditioned I reminded her that if she ever had any questions, she knew where to find me.

Me offering help? Surely not possible. According to the lovely Lisa R.’s hate mail to me, I’m one ginormous, negative piece of shit, and it’s a wonder I didn’t get a “jeers” in Actor’s Blog Weekly.

Though here’s an email I received yesterday:

Hey Matt! Just wanted to let you know that I signed across the board (commercial and TV/movies) with an agent last week! It’s crazy to think that in just over a year and a half from starting to read your blog I’ve moved to LA, interned at a casting office and gotten representation! Thanks again for all your valuable advice. 

Cheers, 
Emily

What Lisa R.’s exhaustive vetting of me didn’t uncover was that the main reason I began writing this blog was to offer any help I could to actors who needed that push to get out here. I’m gonna convince everyone with a dream to move to LA and make it reality AND I’m gonna die trying.

Way to go, Emily.