Monday, July 23, 2012

An Open Letter To A Pussy.

These are the rent-a-cops hired to beef up security outside of the ArcLight Theatre in Hollywood Saturday night. I hardly envision them taking a bullet for me, let alone the 5000 rounds you brought into the theater in Colorado Thursday night.

Not to worry, which I didn’t.

A couple of years ago, during a discussion in a class taught by casting director Russell Boast, an actress said she felt a little guilty that we don’t really contribute anything to society as actors, and therefore felt the need to do something charitable. She was sweet for saying it, but I raised my hand and told her I disagreed.

I wanted her to realize that people go to movies to escape. After a tough week, they just want to go to a theater and laugh or be moved and we as actors have an amazing opportunity to help them experience emotions. Also, how many occupations are truly charitable? Russell agreed with me and added, “Unless you’re actually digging the well in Africa, no job really impacts the world in any significant way. We serve a purpose by entertaining.”

And the people in Colorado just wanted to be entertained by a fun action film they’d been excited to see. Until you ruined their lives.

All day Saturday, as I mentioned to friends that I was going to see Dark Knight Rises, I got a “be careful, man” in response every now and then, but you know what? That’s all you achieved, asshole. A little worry. Everyone packed theaters everywhere and saw this film. Because we needed to escape.

FYI: you’re not the Joker. Or some med student who had a nervous breakdown and can now plead insanity. You’re just a pussy. A coward. May all your victims rest in peace while you roast in Hell.

Oh, and here in Hollywood, we don’t need rent-a-cops or even real cops to protect us. We just park the Batmobile outside our theater, you piece of shit: