Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Once More, With Feeling.

There’s a rumor that’s spread around Hollywood like wildfire, but unlike the wildfires I’ve started, this one doesn’t sexually arouse me.

It says that most of the lines actors speak in films are actually ADR (automatic dialog replacement), dubbed over their actual lines shot on camera.

Well, the rumor’s true – and if you shoot outside, and you’d better expect it. The more action/adventure involved, the more ADR necessary. Apocolypse Now was 80 to 90% ADR. Many of the spaghetti westerns were 100%.

I wrote about doing ADR a few years back, and the other day I was in the studio once again , doing it for my role in the film Saints and Sinners. In some ways, it’s a cinch to do it – your cadence never tends to deviate even months after shooting. But if you’re trying to match a heavy action sequence like a fight scene or improv, it’s a beast. Couple that with the fact you’re dealing with a series of audible beeps in your headphones that both cue you and distract at the same time, and it’s like trying to do Chinese trigonometry. For some reason though, I seem to be able and nail it in just a take or two. Who knew.

 So yes, most of what you hear is actually recorded later in a studio. And if I inadvertently hocked a loogie on your movie-going experience, my deepest apologies.