Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Heartbreak.

After the Duke lacrosse team’s hijinks, followed by the University of Virginia men’s lacrosse player killing his women’s lacrosse-player girlfriend, it seems to safe to that if lacrosse players are guilty of anything, it’s everything.

Actually, that’s far from true. Both my brothers played college lacrosse, and I went to the University of Maryland, which has one of the best programs in the country, and the players there always behaved. In fact, I was with a bunch of former Maryland players yesterday and they are damn good guys.

We were watching Maryland play in the NCAA finals for the second year in a row. But unfortunately, Memorial Day yielded another tough loss for Maryland.

The beauty of sports is that they’re the ultimate reality shows, wrought with drama, fueled by the burning desire that after years of dedication to your team, you’ll feel the ultimate high of a championship. And it would have been so sweet to spend that moment with a bunch of guys who played at the highest level for my school. We’ll get it next year, fellas.

Speaking of reality shows – “Cupcake Wars” seems a bit of an egregious use of the word “war,” and I hardly think injured vets would approve, right? Never mind, I answered my own question.