Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Ten Favorite Films Of 2011.

I trust award shows. They tell me how much to care about different dead people.

And today the Oscar nominees were announced, so I’d like to list what I think are the best films of the year. Here are ten I really liked, in order:

1) The Descendants. The best thing about movies is you get to see stuff like a woman cheating on George Clooney for a change.

2) Beginners. If I found out my dad was gay, he’d have a lot of explaining to do about all the short-sleeve dress shirts.

3) 50/50. Seeing as the odds of surviving are even, I’ll take cancer over marriage any day.

4) Limitless. If I had access to 100% of my brain… hey – if I say one more syllable it’s a haiku… poop.

5) The Artist. It’s amazing this film is so good, seeing as on paper, it has everything you hate: no color, no sound, tap dancing and a French dude.

6) Bridesmaids. Guys presume this is a chick flick, but I don’t recall a Traveling Pants chick crapping in the street.

7) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I never saw the Swedish version, but I was totally rooting for an Ikea joke in this one. Done and done.

8) Moneyball. Talk about getting some good wood: this movie combines baseball with my favorite writer, Aaron Sorkin.

9) X-Men: First Class. I’ve always thought a guy (in this case, Michael Fassbender) with a British accent was a bit of a “dandy”, but this is simply one of the best super-hero movies ever made.

10) Midnight in Paris. Regardless of Owen Wilson being 180° from Jewy, this film totally works.