Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year And All That.

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to say yes – yes to love, yes to life, yes to staying in more.

Actually, I prefer to take stock of my previous year before I reset the odometer, and I must say I'm proud of my 2011. I booked roles in four commercials, a movie and the cover of a magazine. Not bad.

But what resonates most for me from this past year actually occurred in a casting workshop. It was a scene from the TV show “Terriers,” in which I was playing a sarcastic, angry detective toying with and then laying into a serial date-rapist. I was so locked in that I didn’t even realize an earthquake was occurring. It blew the casting director’s mind, and felt better than any other moment in 2011.

Some actors come out here to be famous, but all they wind up accomplishing is clogging up the freeway. And that’s okay. I'm sure they know many things I don’t. What colors go with mauve, for instance.

My New Years resolution is the same one I make every year: just become the best actor I can be. That, and to get a tattoo that says “I Will Regret This.” But that’s it.