Thursday, November 10, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 28: Featuring Visual Aids.

There’s a famous book called How to Audition, by Gordon Hunt. It’s informative, but Gordon Hunt is like a bazillion years old, and I follow two strict rules: old people should not be trusted with cell phones or anecdotes.

And that senile bastard never mentions what to do the second you find out you have an audition. So step aside, pops.

In the event of an audition, you’ll get an email (and accompanying text) from your agent giving you all the info you need, including which headshot was submitted, so you’ll know which one to bring along with you. Though these days, commercial auditions are doing almost everything electronically, and you really don’t need to bring a hardcopy of your headshot. Just in case, keep a few in your car’s trunk.

At the bottom of that email is a prompt to click to confirm your audition. You’d better break your damn thumb clicking that fast, and then check the “confirm” box on the popup page, because casting directors are trying to fill their audition sessions with actors, and if they don’t hear from you, they panic. I once thought I’d checked the box but I hadn’t, and I got a call from the head of my agency, Daniel Hoff himself, and holy shitbombs was he pissed.

Arrive at the audition a little early, and don’t sign in until you’re familiar with the script or story board for the commercial. That way you won’t risk being yanked into the casting room before you’re prepared. And when you fill out your name and info on the above sheet, “X” the boxes if it says to X them, rather than check them. Show them you follow direction on even the tiniest of details.

It’s important to arrive at your audition at your assigned time, because there’s a method to the casting director’s schedule. Being late is bad, but being too early can be worse. I was once in the neighborhood of a casting office hours before an audition I had for Blockbuster Video, in which they were pairing up sets of couples as if they were in a movie theater. I figured I’d knock it out early in the day so I didn’t have to go home and come back. The casting director accommodated me, but the problem was they were auditioning teens at that time, and my age range later, so I went in with a girl so young that eventually when the advertising people watched the recorded auditions, I must have looked like, well, Gordon Hunt on a date with his baby niece.

Am I a card-carrying ageist? Pretty much. But this whole notion that old people have a wisdom from which we can benefit went right down the Penn State football shower drain this week. Remember when we use to rely on our elders for guidance? Yeah, me neither.

So to recap: respond fast, be on time, kiss ass, shun the old. You rock.