Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Specificity.

I’m not usually the butt of the joke; I’m usually the face of the joke.

And the last thing I want to do to my face is shave it, but it’s an occupational requirement of every auditioning male actor. So you can imagine my nipple hardon when I was asked to sign the “DO NOT SHAVE!” document for the commercial I shot last week.

My friend Mark posted a great comment about that, pointing out that at least they were clear about which body part I wasn’t supposed to shave. Actually, there was a reason for this. The production company told me they shot a commercial a few months ago in which they hired an actor who had a great, big beard, and they told his agent to tell the actor to shave. When he showed up for the shoot they were horrified that he his face was clean shaven – they’d wanted him to keep the beard but shave his chest, and it then took a talented makeup artist on the set two hours to create a realistic-looking beard for him.

Hey – did I just do multiple paragraphs on beards? Maybe next time I need to “shave” it down. Blogger-Emmy, please!