Friday, October 7, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 23: Dress To Suggest.

One time I fell madly in love with a Star Wars groupie who I’d only known for six hours, and then I found out she wore those clothes all the time. And she was married. But the clothes thing really bothered me.

Regarding wardrobe, I’ve mentioned that you should never show up to auditions in costume, but instead dress in a way that suggests the role. Also important: after you book the role, and go to your wardrobe fitting, you should continue to dress that way. Always be close to character until the shoot is finished.

Back when my mentor/teacher Stuart Robinson was an actor, he had a leading role in a new, highly-rated sitcom. At the time, Stuart was 22, but he looked super young and played a teen on the show. One night, after shooting an episode, Stuart went out to dinner with the producers. He began ordering drinks, which startled the producers, who thought he really was a teenager. The next day, he was fired.

The old quote says, “Learn from other peoples’ mistakes. You don’t have enough time to make them all yourself.” You guys are writing this stuff down, right?