Friday, August 5, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 14: Hell Yeah Dot Com.

In theory, casting websites are designed to allow actors not yet represented by agents (or ones who are represented, but are very proactive) to search through casting calls or learn about their craft. In theory. In reality, these sites are very hit and miss. I think I’ve seen one or two in a pair of sweatpants at WalMart.

On the other hand, CAZT.com took this concept and just murdered it. Here’s how it all works: CAZT Studios is located in Hollywood, and is super organized with about a dozen audition rooms. I’ve often wondered why acting facilities’ bathrooms look like they were hit by the Puerto Rican Day Parade, but CAZT’s bathrooms are spotless.

Casting directors and directors who use the audition rooms for their projects are required to download video of each actor’s audition and leave comments. Actors join the CAZT website and pay a super-reasonable monthly fee so they can watch their auditions (that pic above is from one of mine) and read comments posted by the casting people, all within 24 hours of auditioning.

Here’s an actual critique from CAZT.com about one of my auditions:

“Really appreciated the subtlety that the actor expressed for the role. Look was great and approach to performance was strong. Actor requested for call back.”

I’m gonna hang that on my fridge.

This kind of feedback was pretty much non-existent before CAZT.com was launched. Constructive critique? Nope. A chance to watch your audition, and see what you’re doing right or wrong? Pssh.

CAZT.com also has its own casting notices on its site so you can submit yourself for roles. It’s a one-stop shop, and enough already – join it. The website is here:


Before I close up, I have a couple of business matters to attend to. I was asked last week to write about the importance of performing in plays, and I apologize for not getting to it yet, but I will next week. Also, I was asked if there was a way to see all the “Get Your Butt To LA” entries together. Click below, and you can scroll through them:


That’s it. Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless the United States of America, ya knuckleheads.