Thursday, July 14, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 11: Roll, Speed, Action.

If you’re not being proactive in this town, things can drag a bit. I know people who’ve been at this since the invention of the steam engine, and their careers still haven’t quite clicked. I mean, sand dunes move faster.

Which brings me to this gem of a question I received:

“Thank you for always posting entries about L.A. It’s very helpful. I want to move there soon to pursue my career. Whenever I read blogs they always say actors should be busy making their own projects. Do you agree and how do learn to make a good script?”

Yes, yes, yes, my friend.

Instead of waiting for auditions, then beating out your competition, then waiting months for footage of what you shot (and praying it’s substantial), create your own. If for no other reason than the control variables – you tailor the role to your strengths, and no studio or editor will cut your screen time.

And often, there are unexpected bonuses. I wrote my film strictly to build my acting reel, and wound up blowing up on the festival circuit. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon did the same, and they won an Oscar.

But you don’t have to do something on such a large scale. All you need are some simple scenes, shot in simple locations, like your kitchen or living room. It’s all about the moments and dialogue. I wrote a film, and trust me – I’m neither superior nor intellectual. I'm not a great connoisseur of wine, for example, so you could serve me two-buck chuck or kitten pee and I wouldn't notice anything amiss.

Plus, these days, technology is both cheaper and of higher quality, thanks to digital cameras. For 600 bucks you can get a Canon Rebel T2i that’ll shoot like film. Wait a minute – you say the T2i doesn’t cost $10,000 but looks like it shoots on 35mm? Wrap it up. I'll take it.

Then you can either edit yourself on your Mac, or find an editor on Craigslist who’ll do it for cheap. Presto. Instant acting reel.

Every day you encounter hundreds of moments that can inspire interesting scene ideas and ignite your career. And the hardest part of all is simply getting yourself started. So let’s say we do that, okay? Okay.