Friday, July 15, 2011

Gentlemen, Stop Your Engines.

Carmageddon finally hits LA. Better tighten your flak jacket.

Actually, I’m pretty thrilled about it. Like I’ve often mentioned, LA traffic is rather exaggerated. I’ve lived in four cities that have much worse, so haters, take your seats.

I only wish every city were this proactive, and shut down a highway and worked on it in one fell swoop. And were wise enough to do it on a sleepy, midsummer weekend after plenty of advance notice. The next two days will prove to be utterly benign – we’re all staying local. Carmageddon? That's the peyote talking.

When I was a little kid, I pictured LA as a place filled with sunshine and surfers and pretty girls and celebrities, and it’s exactly what I imagined. I have no reason to lie. This town may not quite be 100% perfect, but throw in a freeway that’s soon to be twelve lanes wide, and it sure is getting there.